Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Quote of the Day

I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, [and] who are raising kids together; when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.

– President Barack Obama
Quoted in Rick Klein's article,
"
Obama Declares Support for Gay Marriage"
ABC News
May 9, 2012


To thank President Obama for supporting marriage equality,


Recommended Off-site Links:
A Watershed Move, Both Risky and Inevitable – Adam Nagourney (New York Times Times, May 9, 2012).
Details Emerge on Obama's Support of Same-Sex Marriage – Sam Stein (Huffington Post, May 9, 2012).
Politicians React to President's Statement on Same-Sex Marriage Huffington Post (May 9, 2012).
Longtime MN Republican Praises President for Stance on Same-Sex Marriage – Susie Jones (CBS Minnesota, May 9, 2012).
No Matter Their Impact, Historic Words – Frank Bruni (New York Times, May 9, 2012).
Gay Republicans Offended That Obama Supports Gay Marriage. Seriously. – Justin Rosario (AddictingInfo.org, May 9, 2012).
Obama's Same-Sex Marriage Support Fuels Minnesota Debate – Jana Shortal (KARE 11 News, May 9, 2012).
Obama and Gay Marriage: What He's Risking in an Election Year – Paul West (Los Angeles Times, May 9, 2012).


No comments: