Friday, October 02, 2009

"Movin' On" with Rosanne Cash

For this evening’s “Friday night Wild Reed music spot” I’m happy to share the music video for “I’m Movin’ On,” the first single from Rosanne Cash’s latest album, The List - set for release this Tuesday, October 6.

Rosanne Cash is among a select few artists that I appreciate, enjoy, and trust enough to buy any new album they release on the day it comes out. So you can be sure that of all my “things to do” this Tuesday, riding my bike to Cheapo Discs on nearby Snelling Ave. to buy The List will be, well, on the top of my list!




Earlier this year Rosanne told Billboard magazine that The List is “based on a list my father [the legendary Johnny Cash] made for me when I was 18 years old. He called it the ‘100 Essential Country Songs’ and said if I learned this list, I would be truly educated.”

Rosanne also notes that her latest album, her 12th studio recording, is “basically me getting a chance to be an interpreter instead of a songwriter for a change, which is really liberating, really fun.”

Produced by Rosanne’s husband, John Leventhal, The List includes Hank Snow’s “I’m Movin’ On,” Patsy Cline’s “She’s Got You,” and Hank Williams’ “Take These Chains From My Heart,” as well as duets with Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Rufus Wainwright and Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy.

In reviewing The List, NPR’s Stephen Thompson notes:

Rosanne Cash has never been the showiest country singer around, which is part of her considerable appeal: She inherited her father’s plainspoken nature, which lends her a measure of authenticity and authority. [The] 12 covers [that comprise “The List”] are — by definition and necessity — timeless, and Cash’s performances give them room to breathe and shine.


Recommended Off-site Links:
Rosanne Cash Discusses The List
- Juli Thanki (The9513.com, September 10, 2009.)
Rosanne Cash Narrows Down Her Father’s “List”
- Ken Tucker (Reuters, September 25, 2009).
Rosanne Cash at AllMusic.com

See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
The Beauty and Wisdom of Rosanne Cash
In the Garden of Spirituality - Rosanne Cash


Musical artists previously featured at The Wild Reed:
Enrique Iglesias, Helen Reddy, Australian Crawl, PJ and Duncan, Cass Elliot, The Church, Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield, Wall of Voodoo, Stephen “Tin Tin” Duffy, Pink Floyd, Kate Ceberano, Judith Durham, Wendy Matthews, Buffy Sainte-Marie, 1927, Mavis Staples, Maxwell, Joan Baez, Tee Set, Darren Hayes, Suede, Wet, Wet, Wet, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Cruel Sea, Shirley Bassey, Loretta Lynn & Jack White, Maria Callas, Foo Fighters, Rosanne Cash, Jenny Morris, Scissor Sisters, Kate Bush, Rufus Wainwright, and Dusty Springfield.


No comments: